While preparing for SCJP 5.0 exam, i did the following:
- Bought a certification guide (SCJP 5.0 Study Guide by Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates)
- Read the book from cover to cover
- The guide came with a ebook in pdf format on a CD with the book. I used the pdf document for copy pasting the contents i wanted to revise later into a word document notes i prepared.
- I first copied the 2 minute drills part (which was like a quick summary of essential parts of the chapter). Then i went to the relevant parts where i needed some examples copied from into my notes.
- I also copied the exercise examples to the respective sections of my notes. This really helps to see the kind of question on a topic you can get near to the notes on that topic.
I did the above for all chapters and captured my notes in one word document which i took a print out of and then revised and kept adding any special question which i could not answer from one of the several mock exams found on the internet.
As an end result, following the above process for any certification exam, will help one prepare not only a exam cram but a worthy quick reference for work and refreshing your knowledge on the subject for a job interview.
Well i passed the exam on 15th May, 06 with 90% score (65/72 questions answered correctly). And here's my final words on how i prepared for this exam: Thread on JavaRanch Discussion Form where i declared my pass result